Tuesday, December 27, 2011

New Year Resolutions

Since the New Year is almost here, I’ve started to think about my resolutions for 2012. Each year I make a list of resolutions, I manage to keep some with seeminly no problems and others fall to the way side. This year I am approaching things a tad bit differently. Instead of making resolutions I am setting goals, SMART goals. Ever heard of SMART goals? SMART stands for “Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-bound.”
The idea behind S.M.A.R.T. goals is that it gives you something concrete and realistic to work towards, instead of a general resolution you would like to achieve in the New Year.
I have so much I want to accomplish this year, not only on the farm, but with the farm business, also have a couple personal goals. I am looking at 2012 as a year full of possibilities, opportunities for growth and just plain getting more out of life.

Knitting Goals
1- Knit down my stash by creating 1 - 1 skein hat project each week to donate to charity in November 2012. There is a local coats for kids charity I plan to donate the hats to.
2 – Create a Finished Object Book for my knitting. With each finished project (be it hat, scarf, shawl, socks, blanket) I will document it's creation, the yarn, pattern, etc. The book will include photos of the finished project. Begin creating the FO book, January 1st.
3 – Finish “The Blanket”. I have one UFO that nags at me. I started a wool blanket for our bed a year or so ago. I had the idea of creating a reversible blanket from our sheep’s wool. Felted wool panels on one side and patchwork hand spun wool yarn knitted squares on the reverse side. Half of the felted panels are done, a few knitted squares are done. It seems the more I work on it, the less I accomplish. I would like to have it finished by Christmas Day December 25th 2012.

Fiber Goals
1- Organize and create “My Wool Book”. This is a book that will hold the history of my flock in wool; with samples of wool locks that will be stored individually in little zip-loc bags, each labeled with the name of a sheep, type of sheep, and shearing date. It will be organized chronologically, the wool locks will show the direction of my breeding program over the years.

2 – Learn to Spin. This is a subject for discussion at later date.

Personal Goals
Everyone tells me I turn in a hermit during certain times of the year. With all the work needing done around the farm, working from home, lambing/kidding time, tending the livestock, gardens... I suppose it seems that way. I enjoy my solitude, the peace and quiet of the farm and truthfully, I rarely leave the farm. In an effort to show I don't totally isolate myself from the outside world my goal is to:
1 - Blog here at least 2-3 times a week, post once if not twice a week to our farm blog, update the shops status daily.
2 - Read and comment more on blogs, participate more in different forums and take at least 2 online workshops in 2012.
3- Attend one local craft/fiber event each month between April and December 2012.

So lets see...
Specific, yes each one is.
Measurable, yep.
Attainable, yes, reasonable.
Relevant, definitely.
Time-bound, I do believe so. Begins January 1 and I will review month-by-month.

No comments:

Post a Comment